Friday, July 16, 2010

Better

Day 9


It's been a better day. Ava is still on BiPAP, but has resigned herself to it. She is not happy about it, but not fighting it either. The carbon dioxide levels continue to come down and they gave her a break (called sprinting) for 1 hour today. She really seemed to love the break and her oxygen was fine without it, but they put it back on because she needs it to lower her carbon dioxide levels. My parents came back up and brought our guitar, so we have been enjoying playing for her. It really humanizes the hospital room.  She was very cuddly when she got her mask off for that hour, and it was great to hold her. The BiPAP is a good thing because it puts pressure into her lungs and helps expand them, but we hope she won't need it permanently. If she did, she would need it only at night. Morgan and I are doing fine. I think we are keeping our sanity fairly intact.




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Lindsay,
I'm so glad that i found your blog but was very surprised to see that she had already had the surgery. I am glad to see the improvements that Ava has made but it hurts me to see your struggle. I wish I could be there with Peaches the cat and take his paw and sing to you "wipe away your tears until your happy". Do you remember that? Keep the spirits up and let me know as soon as you are home and up for visitors. I love you guys and think of you often. Love, Allison

Alyssa Whitney said...

I love the picture of you holding her. She does indeed look cuddly. Can't wait to come see her-- I hope you guys are back from the hospital by then!!!

The Handleys! said...

Allison,

Everything happened so fast and unexpectedly with the surgery so I didn't have a chance to tell you. I am so glad you found our blog. I definitely remember that song and could sing it like it was yesterday. Those were the days. Thank you for your love and good memories.

Love,
Lindsay

The Handleys! said...

Alyssa,

I hope we are back by then too. Thankyou for being such a dedicated comment giver. It means a lot to me.

Love,
Lindsay

Unknown said...

You can't even "see" the hospital room with all the cuddling and music. Take care.

Natalie said...

I'm so glad she's doing better. She is so adorable. I wish I could see her more while she's here! I'm pretty sure I prefer potty training to going through what you guys are going through. You are awesome parents, and even though Ava is unlucky in many ways, she is very lucky for that.

Kristy said...

Lindsay and Morgan,
You guys are doing so great! I know you have had some emotional times in the hospital, but I don't think you can be human and not have those emotions. I know I have been angry with nurses who I felt were not doing enough, and of course sad. It is wonderful that you have your family with you, and Ava looks like she is doing better all the time. Hopefully her other surgeries will be much less complicated, and she will not need to be in the hospital for as long. I'm sure that you long to be at home and back to normalcy. Hopefully it will work out so that we can see you again in October.
Kristy Christensen (Carter's Mom)